Many attempts were made by the Government of India to introduce
decentralized planning for development; however, they did not succeed as a proper enabling framework was not in place, both for planning and integration of developmental activities at the micro level. Recently, the Planning Commission issued a guideline mandating that all plans starting from XIth Plan period onwards should be prepared bottom up, in a decentralized manner. Backward Regions Grant Fund (BRGF) scheme of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj was the first scheme to adopt the Planning Commission guidelines in to -to and all BRGF states have been directed to prepare a district Plan document as against a BRGF Plan.
PlanPlus is a software developed by NIC, under guidance and direction from Ministry of Panchayati Raj, in order to demystify and strengthen the decentralized planning process. The software is a web-based software and captures the entire planning workflow starting from identification of needs, the plan approval process till the final approval by the District Planning Committee. The software is highly generic and can be extended to capture the plans prepared by line departments at the state and central level to generate the National Plan.
The software :
- Facilitates decentralized planning process in local language
- Captures the planning workflow
- Converges the flow of funds from different sources
- Converges the rural and urban plans to generate an integrated district plan
- Brings about total transparency in the plan approval process
- Provides role based authentication and authorization
- Acts as a decision support tool through the use of supporting GIS and graphs